Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day of Remembrance

That is what today is!

Ten years ago this morning, I was 14. A sophomore in high school. I was waking up to get ready for school and my dad had the news on. Breaking news was on, and a plane had crashed into the first tower. I began asking my dad a ton of questions, what does that mean? was it an accident?
Then off to school I went. Going on campus everyone was buzzing about it. Not as much as the teachers, but every once in a while one of us would mention it. Onto the first class and the teacher let us watch the news for class. By this time the second plane had already crashed into the second tower and we witnessed the towers collapse. We also learned that it was a terrorist attack. That was... breathtaking (in a sad way). I remember thinking did everyone get out? Are all the people on the ground okay? What about the emergency responders?
For the rest of the day we had teachers "updating" us on the news but saying we need to try to focus on school/subject. Then I had volleyball practice. So I did not get to get more information until dinner time, 6ish. I got the full information about the numbers rising of people missing, injured, etc. Then the Pentagon and the plane in PA.
When the news stated that responders from Cali were forming to go to NY, I wondered if my dad would go. At that time he was a fire fighter. But he didnt.

From that day to know, whenever thinking/watching/looking at pics/etc I always get an overwhelming sense of sorrow. All those people gone, injured, lost a loved one that day... then add all the families who lost a loved one from them going off to fight for us..So much death... so much hurt... it's just so sad.

In the newspaper this morning, there was an opinion article that I loved! It was in the Press Enterprise, in the Perspective section. Written by Leonard Pitts, he had written it on Sept. 11th 2001. HEre are some quotes that I LOVE!
"Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together. Let me tell you about my people. WE are a vast and quarrelsome family, a family rent by racial, cultural, political, and class division, but a family nonetheless. We're frivolous, yes, capable of expending tremendous emotional energy on pop cultural minutiae: a singer's revealing dress, a ball team's misfortune, a cartoon mouse."
"Yes, were in pain now. We are in mourning and we are in shock. We're still grappling with the unreality of the awful thing you did, still working to make ourselves understand that this isnt a special effect from some Hollywood blockbuster, isnt the plot develppment from a Tom Clancy novel."
"You see, there is steel beneath this velvet. That aspect of our character is seldom understood by people who don't know us well. On this day, the family's bickering is put on hold. As Americans we will weep, as Americans we will mourn, and as Americans, we will rise in defense of all that we cherish."

Those were my favorite quotes from his article. The following is my favorite cartoon. There were many good ones in today's comics, but this one sums it all. lol...



"Today will be a day that will live in infamy."

To me, Sept. 11th is a "new" July 4th. Only it is remembered more.

Songs such as Lee Greenwoods "Im Proud to Be an American" and Alan Jacksons "Where were you when the world stopped turning" are both GREAT songs for today!

Prayers to those lost, who lost loved ones, and those who helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment